Saturday 26 August 2017

Dates With a Single Mum

Ah. Yes. Dating.

It's so much fun.

My 'dating space' is limited to one night per week. Funnily enough, I'm not short of dates, being the dorky self that I am.

I do, however, think it's important to define what I mean by 'dates' though.

A DATE: By Ali's definition
A date is a glorious human being, someone who I have recognised as kind, warm, funny and entertaining. Someone who enjoys an ale and a laugh, who is honest and accepting.

I go on dates with excellent gents who I've met through Tinder or through beautiful friends. I also go on loads of lady dates with my gorgeous girlfriends. Dating isn't always about sex.

Dating should not be hard, but sometimes it is. Sometimes the conversation doesn't flow (and I get awkward), sometimes a date doesn't turn up (and I get awkward), sometimes the date cancels at the last minute just after you've touched on your Myki ready for a night out (and I get awkward).

But, most of the time, the date rocks up and they are super awesome. We chat about everything from music to food to disliking Brendan Fraser. We always talk about dating.

I have met so many stunning humans through dating - people I would never have met twelve months ago when I was soaked in what I thought was domestic married bliss.

I talk to my pals about dating all the time. It's an interesting topic and so many people are curious about what happens on 'dates' - especially my blissfully married friends. There are a lot of skeptics out there though, people who comment on how dangerous it is. I totally get that, yes you need to be aware and safe and tell your mates what you're doing and where you're going.

The one comment I hear a lot though is 'all men are bastards'.

If there is one thing I have discovered during this wonderful dating time is that this statement is so far from the truth. I have met the most wonderful, intellectual, daringly entertaining, insightful, hilarious, gentlemently gents over the past few months. Men with heart and soul and compassion and a desire to hold hands and cook feasts.

I don't know where this statement comes from, but what I do know is that my son will be growing up to be a delicious young man. Through all of these divine men that I have met recently, I'm learning so much about what makes a man great and I'm taking these elements and throwing them into the wild mix of learn-as-you-go parenting that I'm so accustomed to.

And what a delightful journey this is.

So if you are keen on a date, all it takes is a little 'hello' to get the ball rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment